Insurance Claims 101
Everything You Need to Know About Roofing Insurance Claims
STEP 1: BEFORE YOU FILE A CLAIM
If you think your roof or property has been damaged by a storm, contact a reputable company, like Premier Home Renovations, to come out and give you a pre-inspection photo report. At this point, you are not filing a claim, just starting the information process. Using a reputable contractor will ensure that any work done is the highest quality with the best warranties.
STEP 2: MEET WITH YOUR CONTRACTOR
Next, schedule an inspection with the selected roofing contractor. You want to do this before an actual claim is filed.
STEP 3: FILE YOUR INSURANCE CLAIM
You will need to call your insurance company and file a claim. Many times, you Premier Home Renovations Representative can sit down and do this with you. At this time you will be assigned a claim number, this will be used to track your claim throughout the claims process. Your insurance company will most likely schedule an adjuster to inspect your roof to approve and process your claim. Schedule a time when your contractor can also attend this inspection. It is very important that a contractor is present with the insurance adjuster. The claims specialists at Premier Home Renovations are your advocates during the insurance inspection.
STEP 4: MEET WITH YOUR ADJUSTER
Insurance adjusters have a home inspection checklist they will follow when determining the damage done to your home. Our representative will be able to represent your needs and make sure that the adjuster is aware of all damaged areas. Having an experienced and professional company represent you during the inspection will increase your claim value and avoid any negative interactions.
STEP 5: CLAIM APPROVAL
Once your insurance claim is approved, go over the details of the insurance coverage with your roofing contractor of choice. This will allow you to ask any questions you need regarding the work and the warranty the contractor will provide. This is where the claims specialists at Premier Home Renovations can help you understand all repairs the insurance company is covering and any they aren’t.
STEP 6: TIME FOR YOUR PROJECT TO BEGIN
When you have received the answers to your questions, sign the contract with the roofing contractor and get your roof work scheduled. Your insurance company will provide payment directly to you. You will be responsible for paying the deductible and upgrades. Your insurance company will require proof the work was performed. Premier Home Renovations will supply any necessary information for you and will file for the extended warranty upon payment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A: To assist in your decision, we suggest asking six basic questions in the event of storm damage:
1. Does the contractor have experience handling insurance claim work after hail and wind storms? How many claims annually?
2. Does the contractor have referrals or testimonials?
3. Is the contractor reputable? Look to see if they are a member of roofing industry associations and listed with BBB.
4. How does the contractor handle warranty work?
A: Sooner or later, every roof needs to be replaced, usually due to the long-term effects of weathering. If a residential roof is more than 20 years old, it is a prime candidate for reroofing. To determine if you need a new roof:
* On the ground, walk around your home with binoculars and inspect your roof for cracked, curled or missing shingles, as well as any excessive loss of the protective mineral granules. Do not climb on the roof; walking on the roof is dangerous and can cause damage your roof if proper precautions aren’t taken. Call Premier Home Renovations for a free inspection and let a professional help.
* In your attic, take a flashlight and look at the underside of the roof deck and rafters for any stains or wet spots indicating water leaks.
* Call Premier home Renovations for a free assessment today 1-855-281-ROOF (7663)